Wednesday 25 December 2013

The Painter of the Wind : Review



I would liken this drama to a really good painting; it was beautiful, moving and impactful. I know some would consider it "slow" but I honestly didn't have any problems with the pacing. Like I said before, it really was like a beautiful painting.
the beginning pulled me in right away especially when he referred to her as his "student, teacher, friend and lover" and I seriously died. I already knew I would  love their love from that moment.
Okay,  I'm going to stop going on about my feels and just get into the notes:

1) This drama was much deeper and daring than I thought it would be but in a good way. Yes, there are some similarities between this drama and Sungkyunkwan Scandal (I already knew about the similarities between the two before I watched TPOTW). But it made Sung Scandal look so light and fluffy. Of course I still love Sung Scandal and I can't even decide which one I like more because they are in two different categories. But I think TPOTW is just more...mature. 

2) She was in  in love with a man and a woman at the same time! This is something I have NEVER EVER seen in a Kdrama.  I know she acknowledged her feelings for Jung Hyang before she realized she was in love with Danwon too, but before she acknowledged her feelings for him, there was still some obvious undeniable sexual tension between them.


3) I must be the only person that thought this and I really don't care buuuut...was I the only one that found Kim Hongdo AKA Danwon HOT? Like everything he did was hot to me. Even when he was being silly, I was still like


And its funny because when I first heard about this drama I was like "Really? Why does she have to get paired with some old guy?  Like why can't she have someone attractive?" and then when you fast forward to me watching the drama and I'm like 2 seconds away from jumping him.

4) pieces of her back story are just sprinkled in each episode. we don't get her full back story immediately like I was expecting so at first I was like, "Am I watching episode 6 or episode 1? Like who is she and how is she here?". But in end I think I was fine with the fact that we were left in the dark for a few episodes. It made her seem more mysterious and it really built anticipation.

5)I have never before shipped the main character with the main love interest AND the third angle in love triangle but seriously I wanted Yun Bok with Danwon AND Jung Hyang. I was like "Why is this not burger King!? why can't I have it my way!?"


6)the whole lesbian thing didn't bother me. neither did the age difference between Yun Bok and Danwon. But she's 18 so it's really not that bad! I think the main problem is the deception aspect.I mean, they both fell for her thinking she was a boy. Surprisingly, Danwon wasn't mad at her about the whole "deception" thing tho. He understood that it wasn't her fault that she had to pretend to be a boy. He directed his anger at the right person which is her adoptive father. The 3945454455th reason why I loved Danwon.

 7) Although, the Jung Hyang/ Yun Bok ship was tying with the Danwon/Yun Bok ship, ultimately the Danwon/ Yun Bok ship won my heart. Because I mean,  they were just EVERYTHING to EACH OTHER. (Like Danwon stated in the heartbreaking first scene). They were each other's biggest supporters. They could be completely free and crazy with each other. (Get prepared because i'm gonna say "each other ALOT")

 They argued with each other, They cried in each other's arms, they made sacrifices for each other, they laughed with each other, they exchanged meaningful looks with each other. They learned so much from each other, they appreciated each other's talent. They just wanted to spend the rest of their lives with EACH OTHER. It didn't matter where they were as long as they were together.
.
Damn..this fictional  love story got  me writing paragraphs n shit. .

8) Yes, I was hoping there would be a kiss scene with Danwon and Yun Bok but I had a feeling we wouldn't get one. But the forehead kiss scene was so lovely!! These two were so beautiful and affectionate, that I didn't even need a kiss scene to feel satisfied with their love story. I was good after that forehead kiss scene

9) This drama seriously made me wish I could draw!! **Maybe if I get into art, I'll find my Danwon lol. 

Lastly, shout out to Bae Soo Bin for being so hot as king Jeongjo. I'm so glad I could like him this time cuz I hated his character in 49 days.

Shout out to Moon Geun Young too. What a brilliant actor she is!! She absolutely took me there!! Love love love her.


10) I will not discuss the ending because I refuse to accept it. In my mind, Danwon and Hyewon (Yes, I'm using Yun Bok's pen name cuz it sounds cute when you say it with Danwon) ran away to some peaceful, faraway land, had 2 children and painted landscapes and portraits for the rest of their lives. The end.

**Must reduce thirst level

6 comments:

  1. I just finished this drama recently,kinda late, no, too late lol. When i did some searching about it, all the results are about YunBok/Junghyang couple while Dan Won stole my heart right after the 1st episode. That's so relieve to read your review, at least i'm not alone :)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. man i agree with u 100%
      i discovered that kdrama bc of yun bok and jung hyang, but yun bok and dan won relationship is so much deeper, at least for me...
      so i got frustrated because it seems like most of people doesnt really value their relationship and think that yunah didnt loved him... so fucking frustrating. :(
      they really love each other a lot, so that ending doesnt make even an itty-bitty of sense. i cried a lot

      Delete
    2. give you hundreds of like for your comment! Did anyone realize that when yun bok tells dan won I have something to tell you tonight, her smile were so bright! and I felt they were actually already being a couple during the last competition, when yun bok washes dan wons hand and dan won holds her hand!
      And the last episode when dan won says, i'm no longer your teacher or your fathers friend, you can now purely be yourself, these erases their gap and identity. yun bok too ask for assurance when she ask,"then what am i to you?" and dan won clearly says, you're my student, my friend and my love. why in the world yun bok choose to leave? it ache my heart seeing dan won cried so hard looking at the last drawing yun bok left him with!

      Delete
  2. Man, I'm so relieved to read that review!!
    Like the person said above EVERYWHERE u see yun bok and jung hyang, but i dont really liked their relationship a lot. I was beautiful, but i wasnt deep like dan won and yun ah relationship. I really loved yun ah and dan won relationship... its so beautiful. Yet a saw a lot of ppl saying in reviews that maybe she didnt loved him...
    i got a bit frustrated reading ppl saying that, but i dont agree AT ALL. She loved him so much and she loved jung hyang too, both at the same time. And yeah dan won stole my heart too, i think he is handsome lol but it looks like most of ppl dont think that. and the age difference didnt make me uncomfortable of anything like that, for me it was ok;; I really got sad bc of that ending man... i finished this kdrama today, and until now im wondering to myself: why did she do it?? She loved him and he loved her, so why? She was afraid of bringing harm to him? It doesnt make sense. He even said to her to not have nonsensical thoughts... gosh...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, I'm like a decade away since this series were out. It's a relieve reading your in your mind ending. Why would hye won run away. They are everything to each other. Why would she create another pain for each other. I can't take it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Omg, I watched this as a kid when it was first out and did not really understand stuff so I just re-watched it recently. First time watching it I was like, ewww why is this old man pairs up with her but this time watching I'm a huge fan for the Danwon-Hyewon pair. Their interactions throughout the serie is just delicate and cute!

    ReplyDelete